I was bitten by an animal. What do I do?

Missouri law requires that all animal bites that puncture the skin be reported to the health department. We complete an investigation into the health of the person as well as the animal’s health.

Where can I go to get a certified copy of a birth or death certificate?

Moniteau County Health Center can print vital records for the state of Missouri. Complete an application for a copy of a Birth or Death Certificate (do not sign the application), and bring it into the health center along with the required fee. Proof of ID is required.

How do I apply for WIC?

Simply call our office at 573-796-3412 to schedule an appointment.

Can men participate in the WIC program?

WIC recognizes the important role that fathers, grandfathers, stepparents and other guardians play in caring for children.  Although men are not eligible for WIC, fathers and other caregivers are encouraged to enroll their children under the age of 5 in the WIC program.

How do I apply for Medicaid or Food Stamps?

The Division of Family Services handles Medicaid and Food Stamp needs. Call (573) 796-3197 to learn more.

I’m traveling to another country. What immunizations do I need?

If you are traveling outside of the United States, you may be at risk of exposure to diseases that are uncommon to this country. For more information about appropriate international travel vaccination click here.

I want to open a restaurant. What’s the first step?

Contact the Moniteau County Health Center and ask for the Environmental Public Health Specialist (EPHS). We will provide you with a packet of information which includes an application, a link to the Missouri Food Code, an inspection checklist, and various other educational materials. We will then schedule an inspection visit at the site or facility proposed for operations.

Do I need a permit to open a restaurant?

Moniteau County does not have a county ordinance covering food establishments, so permits are not issued in our county.  We work with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) to enforce Missouri state food codes.

Do I need a permit to operate a portable food stand for a temporary event in Moniteau County?

You do not need a permit, since we currently do not have a food ordinance in our county.  However, you will need to follow the Missouri state food code requirements for temporary food events.

How do I file a complaint about a restaurant or food establishment?

To file a complaint, please click here and download the form.

Where can I get more information on a food establishment?

You can contact the Moniteau County Health Center, or you can click here to access the Missouri Food Code.

Are bed & breakfasts and Airbnbs inspected in Moniteau County?

The only lodging establishments inspected in Moniteau County are Missouri State “Permitted” lodging establishments. These do not include Airbnbs or Bed & Breakfasts.

Are all lodging establishments required to be permitted?

No. A permitted lodging establishment is determined by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) and is defined as:

“Any building, group of buildings, structure, facility, place, or places of business where five (5) or more guest rooms are provided, which is owned, maintained, or operated by any person and which is Lodging Rule 19CSR20-3.050 Page 7 kept, used, maintained, advertised or held out to the public for hire which can be construed to be a hotel, motel, motor hotel, apartment hotel, tourist court, resort, cabins, tourist home, bunkhouse, dormitory, or other similar place by whatever name called, and includes all such accommodations operated for hire as lodging establishments for either transient guests, permanent guests, or for both transient and permanent guests.”

Where can I get more information about the requirements for lodging establishments?

You can access the Missouri Lodging code by clicking here.

Do I need a permit to install an Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS)?

For a single-family home and you are on 3 or more acres, you do not need a permit.  If you are on less than 3 acres, a permit is required. We do not currently provide permits, so you will need to contact the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services OWTS department to obtain permitting information.

How do I report a complaint about an OWTS?

To file a complaint, please click here and download the form.

Where can I get more Information Regarding OWTS?

You can contact the Moniteau County Health Department, or you can click here for the Missouri Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) website.

Where do I go to get a new Social Security Card?

Go to the Social Security Administration office at 129 Scott Station Rd, Jefferson City, MO  65109, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the SSA website.

How can I get help with food assistance?

Local food pantry in California:

Cargill Cares Food Pantry-303 Latham Rd, California, MO 65018

Call (573) 796-6212 or (573) 796-1212

Who do I call for a tenant/landlord dispute?

Landlord issues need to be addressed to the Missouri State Attorney General. The Attorney General can be reached at 573-751-3321 or their website. Search for landlord-tenant law.

Do you provide STD testing?

We provide testing for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis B and C, HIV, and Syphilis.
Call us for questions pertaining to testing.

Do you provide sports physicals?

Yes, the Moniteau County Health Center does provide sports physicals.
Call to schedule an appointment.

Where do I get a copy of a Marriage License?

To request a certified copy of a marriage license, please contact the Recorder of Deeds in the county where it was obtained.

Where can I dispose of old medicine?

Look for Medication Drop Boxes.  The nearest one to Moniteau County is located at the California Police Department.